- This medication comes in capsule form. It is usually taken by mouth three times a day.
- Quinine should be taken with food to reduce the chance that it will bother your stomach.
- Try to take your doses about eight hours apart to keep an even level of the medication in your bloodstream.
- Quinine is normally used in combination with one or more other medicines to treat malaria.
- You should start to feel better within two days of beginning quinine therapy. However, do not stop taking this medication just because you feel better. Take it for as long as your healthcare provider recommends.
- This medication is usually taken for seven days to completely clear the malaria infection.
- This medication is not approved to treat or prevent nighttime leg cramps, and should not be used for this reason. Taking quinine for nighttime leg cramps may lead to serious or life-threatening side effects.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.