Primaquine Side Effects
Serious Side EffectsSome side effects of primaquine are potentially serious and should be reported immediately to your healthcare provider. These include but are not limited to:
- Any vision problems
- Depression or changes in mood or behavior
- Signs of serious blood cell problems, such as:
- Dark urine
- Fatigue or extreme weakness or tiredness
- Pale skin
- Rapid heartbeat
- Shortness of breath
- Yellowing of the whites of the eyes or skin (jaundice)
- High fever, chills, aches, and pains, which may be signs of an infection
- Signs of an allergic reaction, such as:
- An unexplained rash
- Swelling of the mouth or throat
- Difficulty breathing.
Final ThoughtsYou may experience some or none of the side effects listed in this article. Unfortunately, there is no way for your healthcare provider to know beforehand if you will have problems with a medicine that you have never tried.
Therefore, make sure to let your healthcare provider know if you develop any side effects while taking primaquine or if something "just does not seem right." While it may not be related to the medication, your healthcare provider will be able to diagnose and treat the problem.