Malarone Side Effects
In clinical studies, some of the commonly reported side effects of Malarone included muscle pain, headache, vomiting, and diarrhea. However, most people were able to take the medication without any problems. Although generally well tolerated, Malarone does have the potential to cause serious reactions. If you develop hallucinations, seizures, or signs of an allergic reaction, seek immediate medical attention.
Just like any medicine, Malarone® (atovaquone/proguanil) can cause side effects. However, not everyone who takes the medication will have problems. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in many cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or are treated easily by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Malarone. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list with you.)
Malarone has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials. In these studies, one group of people received Malarone, while another group was given a placebo (a "sugar pill" with no active ingredients). As a result, it was possible to see what side effects occurred, how often they appeared, and how they compared to the placebo.
In clinical studies, the most common side effects of Malarone in adults included:
- Headache -- in up to 22 percent of adults
- Stomach pain -- up to 17 percent
- Muscle pain -- up to 12 percent
- Nausea -- up to 12 percent
- Vomiting -- up to 12 percent
- Weakness, or a loss of energy and strength -- up to 8 percent
- Diarrhea -- up to 8 percent
- Upper respiratory infection, such as the common cold -- up to 8 percent
- Back pain -- up to 8 percent
- Cough -- up to 6 percent
- Fever -- up to 5 percent
- Appetite loss -- up to 5 percent
- Dizziness -- up to 5 percent
- Flu-like symptoms -- up to 4 percent
- Upset stomach -- up to 3 percent.
In clinical studies, the most common side effects in children included:
- Stomach pain -- in up to 33 percent of children
- Headache -- up to 19 percent
- Vomiting -- up to 13 percent
- Cough -- up to 9 percent
- Flu-like symptoms -- up to 9 percent
- Itching -- up to 6 percent
- Fever -- up to 6 percent
- Diarrhea -- up to 3 percent.