Malaria Home > Quinine
Important Information for Your Healthcare ProviderYou should talk with your healthcare provider prior to taking this medication if you have:
- Kidney disease, such as kidney failure (renal failure)
- Liver disease, such as hepatitis, cirrhosis, or liver failure
- Had an abnormal electrocardiogram (ECG) or a heart problem known as QT prolongation
- Heart rhythm problems, such as atrial fibrillation, also called afib.
- Any other heart problems
- Low levels of an enzyme called glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G6PD)
- An autoimmune disease called myasthenia gravis
- A history of inflammation of the eye nerve (optic neuritis)
- Any allergies, including to foods, dyes, or preservatives.
- Pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant (see Quinine and Pregnancy)
- Breastfeeding (see Quinine and Breastfeeding).