Malaria Home > Quinine Overdose
If you take too much quinine (Qualaquin), symptoms could include vomiting, seizures, and loss of life. Your treatment options will depend on when the overdose was taken. For example, a healthcare provider may administer activated charcoal for a recent overdose. Supportive care will also be used to treat any symptoms that occur.
Can You Take Too Much Quinine?Quinine sulfate (Qualaquin®) is a prescription medication used to treat malaria. It is possible to overdose on this medication.
Effects of an OverdosePeople who take too much quinine may have overdose symptoms that could include:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Abdominal (stomach) pain
- Breathing problems
- Flushing (sudden redness and warmth of the skin)
- Ringing in the ears
- Hearing problems, including complete hearing loss
- Vision problems, such as blurred vision, color perception problems, and blindness
- Low blood sugar (hypoglycemia)
- Low blood pressure (hypotension)
- Heart arrhythmias