Malaria Home > Quinine for Cramps
More Information About Leg CrampsLeg cramps are painful muscle contractions in the legs. They normally occur when lying down. When they happen at night, they are called nocturnal or nighttime leg cramps. Although leg cramps can occur at any age, nighttime leg cramps are more common in older adults.
- Structural problems, such as flat feet
- Prolonged sitting or being sedentary
- Volume depletion, which can occur with excessive sweating, inadequate fluid intake, or diuretic use
- Certain medical conditions, including Parkinson's disease, diabetes, and hypothyroidism
- Some medications, such as certain blood pressure medications and benzodiazepines.
Other Suggestions to Treat Leg CrampsThere are many different treatment options for leg cramps. Some of these treatment options include:
- Stretching or light exercise, such as riding a stationary bike, prior to bed
- Staying well hydrated
- Avoiding caffeine and alcohol
- Keeping bed covers loose instead of tucked in and taut.