Malaria Home > Primaquine
Important Information for Your Healthcare ProviderYou should talk with your healthcare provider prior to taking this medication if you have:
- Liver disease, such as hepatitis, cirrhosis, or liver failure
- Kidney disease or kidney failure (renal failure)
- Certain autoimmune diseases, such as rheumatoid arthritis or lupus erythematosus (lupus)
- A genetic condition called glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G6PD) deficiency
- A genetic condition called nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NADH) methemoglobin reductase deficiency
- Methemoglobinemia (a blood disorder)
- Ever had (or have a family member with) a reaction to eating fava beans
- Ever had hemolytic anemia
- Any allergies, including allergies to foods, dyes, or preservatives.
- Pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant (see Primaquine and Pregnancy)
- Breastfeeding (see Primaquine and Breastfeeding).