Malaria Home > Malarone
When and How to Take ItSome general considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Malarone include the following:
- This medication comes in tablet form. It is usually taken once a day.
- Take Malarone with food or milk. This helps your body absorb as much of the medicine as possible.
- Be sure to take Malarone at the same time each day to keep an even level in your bloodstream.
- Malarone tablets may be crushed and mixed with condensed milk just before taking them for people who have problems swallowing the tablets. This may be especially helpful in small children.
- If you vomit within one hour after taking your Malarone dosage, you should take another dose.
- To prevent malaria, treatment is usually started one or two days before arriving in a malaria area, during the stay, and for seven days after returning. If you cannot take Malarone for this entire time, you may not be protected from malaria, and may need another antimalarial medication.
- It is important to use protective clothing, bed nets, and insect repellents to protect you from mosquito bites in a malaria area. Malarone alone may not prevent infection.
- To treat malaria, Malarone is usually taken for three days in a row.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
Dosing InformationThe dose of Malarone that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a few factors, including:
- Whether you are taking the medication to prevent or to treat malaria
- Your weight (in children).